TIMES, TIME, AND HALF A TIME. A HISTORY OF THE NEW MILLENNIUM.

Comments on a cultural reality between past and future.

This blog describes Metatime in the Posthuman experience, drawn from Sir Isaac Newton's secret work on the future end of times, a tract in which he described Histories of Things to Come. His hidden papers on the occult were auctioned to two private buyers in 1936 at Sotheby's, but were not available for public research until the 1990s.



Friday, August 27, 2010

Continuity for DC's Character Terra ... Concluded!

Terra and Ravager by Craig Cermak. Commission (2007).

Today's blog post concludes the history I'm writing for DC's character Terra, which covers her entire continuity from 1982 to 2010. I've backdated it so that all the pieces on that topic are together. The link to the final entry, which covers the character's third incarnation (Atlee), her appearance in Blackest Night, and Elseworld versions of Terra, is here. The entire continuity is here.

Judging from the current level of editorial attention in comics, continuity bibles - individual histories of fictional characters - seem to be a thing of the past for maintaining narrative consistency in the industry.  Terra has long been overshadowed by the 1984 four-issue arc, The Judas Contract, leading to simplistic negative interpretations of the character. Yet Terra is also a metaphor for the Earth itself; she is a pulp fiction reincarnation of ancient earth goddessesGaia is still alive (or half-dead) in American pulp fiction, but the girl's getting a rough deal.

The ambiguities around Terra, as she is cast and recast as heroine and villainess, tell us a lot about how we see our planet - and how hard our world is.  The song, The World is Stone (in its original French version and the English redux) captures the mood of the period when the character was created, reflecting the tough materialism of the late 1970s and 1980s.

The World is Stone Lyrics

Stone, the world is stone
It's no trick of the light, it's hard on the soul
Stone, the world is stone, cold to the touch
And hard on the soul in the gray of the streets
In the neon unknown, I look for a sign
That I'm not on my own, that I'm not here alone

As the still of the night and the choke of the air
And the winners' delight and the losers' despair
Closes in left and right, I would love not to care

Stone, the world is stone from a faraway look
Without stars in my eyes through the halls of the rich
And the flats of the poor wherever I go
There's no warmth anymore
There's no love anymore

So I turn on my heels, I'm declining the fall
I've had all I can take with my back to the wall
Tell the world I'm not in, I'm not taking the call

Stone, the world is stone but I saw it once
With the stars in my eyes when each color rang out
In a thunderous chrome, it's no trick of the light
I can't find my way home in a world of stone



The World is Stone. Sung by Cyndi Lauper CD: Tycoon (1992). Adapted from the French original by Tim Rice.



Le Monde est Stone. From Starmania (1978), originally sung by Fabienne Thibeault (listen here). This version covered on X-Factor France (2009) by Marie Luy. By: Michel Berger, Luc Plamondon.



Le Monde est Stone. (2002) Cover by Garou.

From hard-hearted 80s' Material Girl princess, to 90s' time-travelling-yet-down-to-earth grunge girl, to 2000s' naive environmental elemental and Black-Lantern-sucking zombie queen, here's to you Terra!  This continuity bible was a tribute from me to a character I've long found fascinating and compelling, despite the fact that she is so maligned.  In 2012, she'll turn 30.

Note: while this post originally ended my continuity on Terra, additions to the 2010s' continuity have been backdated and incorporated into this post.


2 comments:

  1. I don't agree with all the conclusions you seem to have in your continuity.But I've enjoyed a lot reading it,and you've certainly made me seen Tara Markov in a different light.Reading your continuity has convinced me that she and Gar Logan had more similarities than it meets the eye.Though honestly,I kind of liked Terra before.I'll admit this:at first,I didn't like your posts on Tara.But as I kept reading and reading,(I think)I understood your continuity more and more.I think you made a lot of good points,and that you know the characters.I've seen some negative comments about your posts,and it's a shame.But it was to be expected,as Terra seems to be a divisive character in the fandom,from what I've seen.
    Apparently Tara has appeared in Deathstroke's solo series recently,and I've read that a lot of her past has been restored.And then there's Young Justice...are you planning on continuing your posts about Terra?I've also seen in some on your comments that you were going to do the same kind of posts,but about Raven.Are you still planning that?
    Anyway,all that aside,I've also enjoyed your other posts about the Titans and DC Comics in general.Even when I don't agree,I can see where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kuno, Thanks for your comments. I have added to my continuity for Terra in the 4.1 section. https://historiesofthingstocome.blogspot.com/2017/04/dcu-continuity-for-terra-part-41-terra.html I have to backdate my additions because the whole blog series was posted back in 2010. I have an addition as of today and will review the Young Justice animated version of Terra from 2019 at some point next year.

      Delete